Stomach Gas Remedies – Top 10 Natural Choices!
Abdominal gas is the byproduct of regular digestion and occurs in every single person, and typically is present many times throughout the day. Swallowing excess amounts of air can also contribute to a buildup of gas in the abdomen, and symptoms can include varying levels of pain from sharp an intense to mild and dull, along with bloating and a feeling of fullness.
Most often, over the counter stomach gas remedies are used in the treatment of the symptoms. The majority of these are simethicone based, like the industry leading product, Gas-X. The simethicone in Gas-X works by breaking up gas bubbles found in the stomach and therefore can relieve discomfort, often in mere minutes after taking it. And, Gas-X side effects are non-existent as the active ingredient has been deemed devoid of adverse effects.
Other treatments for gassiness are considered multipurpose products rather than stand alone treatments for stomach gas. For instance, Mylanta is a very popular remedy for heartburn which uses both aluminum and magnesium to help reduce out of control stomach acid. However, it also contains the stomach bloating battler simethicone, to provide gas relief alongside its heartburn reducing effects, as it is not uncommon for the digestive upsets to occur simultaneously. Mylanta side effects are thought to include diarrhea and constipation however, making it a poor choice amongst stomach gas remedies for those already encountering loose stools or backed up bowels.
Maalox is another multipurpose product that contains gas-relieving simethicone. It is an antacid that reduces stomach acid by means of calcium carbonate, according to Wikipedia. Its ingredients are similar to Mylanta and so are its recommended uses which are for treatment of indigestion (dyspepsia), gas and bloating and abdominal discomfort after eating. But, like its similarly purposed shelf mate side effects of Maalox can be gastrointestinal in nature. And, this predisposition to bowel blunders can leave many seeking out natural stomach gas remedies instead.
We have come up with a list of 10 best natural remedies to beat the bloat and give gas the boot. So try one the next time that gas has the gut in a chokehold for effective and natural relief.
1. Pumpkin: Discovery Fit & Health points out that pumpkin can soothe the intestines and keep flatulence at bay. Regardless of preparation method, excessive stomach gas can be reduced by the gentle soothing comfort of pumpkin.
2. Beano: This over the counter remedy is nothing more than a neatly packaged box of natural gas beating enzymes. And, its use before eating can ward off the symptoms of gas before they start. Keeping it close by when beans and broccoli are near can keep flatulence away after mealtime.
3. Yogurt: Dairy products are better known for bringing about indigestion like symptoms including gas than for treating them. However, yogurt that contains live and active cultures can serve a very grand purpose in leveling the bacterial playing field in the small intestine, which in turn can provide digestive relief in many forms.
4. Charcoal Tablets: Used as a remedy for removing toxins from the body for centuries, activated charcoal powder is a well known natural therapy for many applications including hangover prevention. However, more recently, it has become popular amongst stomach gas remedies as well, for its ability to use its porous surface area to attract gas and remove it from the body.
5. Caraway Seeds: Whether enjoyed on crackers or baked in breads, caraway seeds are tasty and delightful. But, the oils derived from them are carminatives, according to Discovery Health and Fitness and therefore can be useful for relieving gas.
6. Cloves: Looking for stomach gas remedies from the spice rack? Try cloves. They are known to speed up digestion and they can also help to relieve intestinal gas.
7. Lemon Juice & Baking Soda: A simple and natural option to help calm down gassiness in a flash, mixing a teaspoon of lemon juice and half a teaspoon of baking soda together in a cup of chilled water can provide relief for gas brought on after mealtime.
8. Turmeric: Turmeric is a great option amongst stomach gas remedies because this natural spice, a common ingredient in many curry dishes, can be added to foods that are known for causing gas, therefore nipping it in the bud before it begins.
10. Anise Seeds: It is not uncommon for these compact and spicy little stomach gas remedies to be chewed raw following a meal in some Indian restaurants. This is because they can aid digestion and reduce unpleasant symptoms such as gas.