Best Fiber Supplement for IBS and Constipation – Top 5 Picks!
It is not difficult to find fiber supplements at drugstores and grocery stores alike. And, with so many types and brands vying for the attention of the gastro intestinally troubled consumer, choosing the right one can seem incredibly challenging. There are all sorts of things to consider when determining the best fiber supplement among the wide variety of options available. And, for people with recurring constipation, an acute case of same or, those battling the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, the choice can be even more difficult. We have narrowed down the best 5 picks for store bought supplements for you, to help make choosing the best fiber supplement a whole lot easier!
1. Metamucil: Few names are as synonymous with getting regular as Metamucil. The name brand arguably trusted by more digestive blunder sufferers than any other, Metamucil remains a mainstay of the G.I. tract guarding community. Their powdered formulas are probably the best well known, however Metamucil Psyllium Fiber Capsules + Calcium offer a unique take on an age old problem from the trusted manufacturer. The capsules contain 100% natural psyllium fiber per the manufacturer, and also contain calcium, for a bone building bonus. Combining the #1 doctor recommended brand of choice for best fiber supplement with the convenience and dosage ease of fiber filled caplets provide a great combination product to promote healthy regularity for those encountering occasional constipation or attempting to manage IBS symptoms that may be worsened due to irregularity in bowel movements.
2. Benefiber Powder: Benefiber provides those encountering irregularity or occasional bouts of constipation with a powdered form of wheat dextrin, which is a naturally occurring soluble fiber. The main benefit to consumers eager to try the Benefiber powder offering is that unlike many types of over the counter picks for best fiber supplement, Benefiber is unique amongst few in that its powdered mix is free from taste and dissolves completely. This can make taking a powdered fiber supplement daily much easier and a whole lot more bearable. Not only is the product devoid of taste, but also, when mixed with beverages that are flat and free from carbonation, there is no textural change to the beverage of choice either. This is another welcome relief for those seeking regularity without having to succumb to a cardboard flavored beverage or a thick, wheat flavored milkshake. Enjoyment level aside, Benefiber of course boasts loads of fiber for regularity, constipation relief and also as an aid to overall digestive health.
3. Citrucel Fiber Caplets: For IBS Sufferers, choosing a means to supplement a lack of dietary fiber can be a sketchy proposition since one of the most common side effects of most fiber fillers is gassiness and bloat, which can exacerbate the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. Citrucel caplets offer a unique solution in multiple ways. For starters, their convenient and easy to take caplet dosage eliminates the need for messy powders and drinks, a common consumer complaint amongst even the best fiber supplement options available over the counter. In addition to their ease of dosage, Citrucel caplets offer another big benefit to fiber therapy. Their method of fiber supplementation is via methylcellulose, a renewable plant fiber that is completely non-fermentable and therefore will not cause the gassy and uncomfortable symptoms normally associated with a rapid introduction of fiber into the diet. Therefore, IBS sufferers can enjoy symptom free regularity.
4. Metamucil Multi Health Sugar Free: Psyllium husk combined with a pinch each of citric acid and maltodextrin are the only ingredients to be found in this sugar free option that limits carbohydrates and gluten but also provides all the well known digestive benefits of Metamucil; like the constipation clearing power of an easy to mix and super smooth 100% pure and natural psyllium husk powder. This natural fiber source has many benefits including providing potential aid to the cardiovascular system and also helping to reduce cholesterol. But, one of the best features of this choice from Metamucil is that for those looking for the best fiber supplement option for gluten free diets, there is no reason to look any further than this Metamucil offering. At less than 20 ppm gluten, the product is considered gluten free and also boasts a low glycemic index, according to the manufacturer.
5. Fiber Choice Prebiotic Fiber: Harnessing the secret and hidden power of sweet raisins, Fiber Choice Prebiotic Fiber Sugar Free Assorted Berry Chewables boast Inulin as the main ingredient. Those seeking out the best fiber supplement to aid in making digestion smooth and comfortable and to reduce the symptoms of IBS such as stomach bloating and gas will find that inulin, a fructan found in raisins can greatly benefit the gastrointestinal system and provide colon support, according to an article from PRNewswire.com. The tasty chews provide another benefit as well in that those trying the chewable, berry flavored discs do not have to mix a powder or consume a thickened and tasteless drink to get their fiber while also benefitting from an increase in absorbed calcium and immunity boosting as well.